***Tegaderm users see below***
Regular bandaging: Carefully remove bandage and tape in 2 – 4 hours, or bandage may be left on overnight to prevent the tattoo from sticking to or staining bed sheets. Do not let pets or pet hair come in contact with your healing tattoo. Maintain clean bedding throughout the healing process (about 2 weeks). Do not rebandage.
- create a lather using CLEAN HANDS, an unscented antibacterial soap (e.g. Dial Gold), and warm water. Wash carefully but thoroughly as to remove all excess ointment, lymphatic fluids and ink.
- pat dry with a clean paper towel. DO NOT SCRUB.
- After washing, allow the skin to dry and then apply a VERY THIN layer of A/D Ointment or Eucerin/Aquaphor.
- Repeat these steps 2-3 times a day for the first few days. Then switch to a regular FRAGRANCE FREE lotion such as Lubriderm, Curel, Aveeno, or any other unscented brand.
WHAT TO EXPECT
*Fresh tattoos can “weep” for the first few days, meaning the skin produces a thin layer of plasma and ink. Wash this away when possible, or gently pat dry with a clean paper towel.
*It is normal for ingrown hairs & clogged pores to occur around the area during this time. Reducing lotion application or washing frequency (keeping the tattoo more dry) can minimize these breakouts if they occur.
*Wear loose, breathable clothing during healing. A bra strap, tight waistband, or itchy/coarse fabric can potentially create healing problems.
* Expect to see your tattoo peel and ﬂake. It is normal for your healing tattoo to itch but it is imperative NOT TO SCRATCH OR PICK YOUR TATTOO. It is normal for your tattoo to look hazy during the “settle in” period, which can last from 3 – 6 weeks
* NO SUN, SWIMMING, OR SOAKING (including pools, baths, hot tubs, or saunas) for TWO WEEKS. Showering is encouraged
Post heal, use sunblock when exposed.
***If you experience any unusual pain, redness, or swelling and suspect infection, contact your physician and artist immediately***
– DO NOT TAKE ANYONE ELSE’S ADVICE –
– CONTACT YOUR ARTIST DIRECTLY WITH ANY QUESTIONS
Tegaderm may be left on for 1-5 DAYS. During this time you can expect to see lymphatic fluid & ink gather under the bandage. This is normal and SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE. Be aware that the fluids may run out of the bandage & can STAIN clothing or sheets.
The edges of the tegaderm are expected to peel up slightly. But If the TATTOO BECOMES EXPOSED it’s time to take it off.
TEGADERM REMOVAL & WASHING
In 1-5 days, remove the Tegaderm IN THE SHOWER (if possible). REDNESS AND BREAKOUTS can occur where the tegaderm adheres to non-tattooed skin. THIS IS NORMAL.
WASH YOUR TATTOO thoroughly, using clean hands and antibacterial soap. Do not rebandage. Apply a VERY THIN amount of a FRAGRANCE-FREE white lotion such as Lubriderm, Curel, or Aveeno.
***see above WHAT TO EXPECT*** for further instruction.
Copperplate Tattoo 2868 N. Elston Ave Chicago, IL 60618